Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2.9-2.10, due on January 15

      This reading was fairly straight forward.  I did not understand why the negation of a quantified statement was being discussed and why during the negation, the inverted "A" was changed to the leftward-pointing "E."  I took a step back and really tried to understand the notation and it became clear that "if all elements x of set S for P(x)" is an statement then the negation would be there exists an element x that is an element of ~P(x) must be the negation.  It is now clear in my mind.
      I was interested by the notation for quantified statements as I often look up information on wikipedia and now I understand what more of the notation means.  This should help me when needing quick information related to math.

No comments:

Post a Comment