Monday, January 6, 2014

1.1-1.6, due on January 8

      The most difficult part of the reading was understanding the explanation of indexed collections of sets.  Once an example was presented I had a clearer understanding of the purpose for the set I.  Each element of the set I act as a way to index subsets of the set S.  In fact the union of all sets S_alpha produces the set S.
      The most exciting part of the reading was section 1.6 about the Cartesian product.  I was excited to see that with this product, order matters.  Though I do not yet have a broad understanding of the implications that R x R is the set of all points in the Euclidean plane, I can see that this will be useful when working with functions.  I am excited to learn what there is to study when taking the product of R with itself in n dimensions.  I was also intrigued by pattern that the cardinality of the Cartesian product of 2 sets is equal to the product of the cardinality of the individual sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment