Saturday, February 8, 2014

6.1, due February 10

      I really did not understand the significance of mathematical induction.  It seems to me like for a given sentence you prove that it works for an actual case, then for a generalized case and then for another generalized case proving that it works the same way.  I can see that it could be useful in cases lie that shown in the book about series and sums.  I just do not yet have a clear picture on how it would work.
      I was excited by the example of counting squares.  I have had that problem given to me in the past but I just counted them out.  I am excited now though because I see the generalized case where a square is dimensions n x n, the number of squares is n^2 + (n-1)^2 + (n-2)^2+...+(n-k)^2, where n = k.

No comments:

Post a Comment