Saturday, February 1, 2014

5.2-5.3, due on February 3

      The proof by contradiction was a little difficult to wrap my mind around.  I found though that it was quite a bit simpler than the formal definition made it sound.  One simply assumes P is true and Q is false or assumes the entire implication is false and then solves for a contradiction.  It makes sense that one would be best off stating that this method will be used for a given result.
      I enjoy adding methods of proofs to my arsenal of proof solving tools.  I can see that the proof by contradiction can be useful in situations where a direct proof or proof by contrapositive is so much more difficult.  This is useful to understand as there must be many situations where this is the simplest method to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment